Monday, January 5, 2015

Not my circus...

"Even though you get the monkey off your back, the circus never really leaves town." - Anne Lamont

This is the quote in my journal for today.  How appropriate as I return to work on what I know is going to be a hell week after the holidays!!  This reminds me of a quote one my coworkers says often..."Not my monkeys, Not my circus." Kind of like the "Not it!" game we all played as kids.  The problem becomes adults who play this game and refuse to take responsibility for their actions.  Today I am working on making sure I take responsibility for my actions and setting an example for others to do the same.  I recently had a situation at work where someone made a HUGE mistake in a file, instructing a client to do something way wrong because they failed to read a correspondence in its entirety.  This problem fell in my lap while the offending employee was out on vacation and it has festered for over a week now.  Today I actually had to deal with the police over this matter.  And yet the original offender blames everyone around her in an effort to shield herself from trouble.  This is very difficult to allow to roll off my back.  I feel she needs to step up, admit she erred and do whatever humanly possible to correct the matter.  So in addition to working on facing my own responsibilities I will continue to work on not taking personally things that are beyond my control.

49 days until the bar exam!!!

"Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."  Have any good convo starters??

No comments: